Saturday, 16 July 2011

Cambodia

Arguably one of the most beautiful countries in the world, it (along with most of the world to be perfectly honest) has always been somewhere that I wished to visit. With friendly people, vast, exotic jungle landscapes and copious amounts of ancient Buddhist statues and temples it seems to be a tranquil haven and so different from anything dreary Wiltshire has to offer. Yet despite the beauty, Cambodia is haunted by a dark past, by some of the most extreme, yet also bizarre violence the world has ever seen.
 The infamous Khmer Rouge was something I've known about for my many years now, I remember the impressed look on my lower school history teacher's face when I showed not only an awareness of the atrocities but could also almost flawlessly describe what happened. Bits of books and clips of documentaries, as well as numerous radio programmes on the matter had all helped to give me knowledge about such grim happenings which few people really seem to know the extent of. One film I had always meant to watch was the groundbreaking 1984 film 'Killing 's Fields' based on a Cambodian journalist's experiences of the genocide.
 Honestly, I think it was probably the best film I've ever seen. It showed some really vile, nasty things, for example there's a seen when some children suffocate a man with a plastic bag which was one of the most horrible things I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of footage from different events which were very nasty, but never with children as the perpatrators before so that was something horrible. It hit me hard, it showed some horrendous things, yet weirdly it's inspired me even more to pursue a career in journalism. I just feel like it is something that is made for me, I really can not imagine myself doing anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment