Monday, 21 November 2011

2.6 million unemployed. Anyone fancy a Fabergé egg?

The first time I ever heard of a Fabergé egg I was about eight. As a dedicated Blue Peter fan I was of course interested in the competition they hosted one year to design one, although back then I didn't quite appreciate their hefty price tag. I won't even go into the question of taste, although I would highly recommend you Google the bejeweled 'beauties' and see if they really are worth £10 million... As your average sixth former where my only income comes from spending eight hours a week in a local department store I consider most of New Look's party dresses a bit of a stretch and the eye-watering cost of most of Urban Outfitters could make me sulk for hours on end. Understandably then, Russian jewel encrusted eggs rarely feature on my wish list, let alone on e-mails to relatives asking (very nicely) what I want for Christmas. 


And why should it? I'm seventeen years old, I don't even like normal eggs. Plus, I would probably lose it... I'm not naive enough to think that their new shop, just off Bond Street in London, is in anyway catered for the likes of myself. But when you think about how recently the United Kingdom's unemployment rate reached 2.62 millions it does make you suspect that maybe there really are some people benefiting from the ordinary people's belts. Obviously, I'm not going to go leave school and live in a tent in the middle Bath (you can see my confusion about the Occupy protests here) but is it really unreasonable to be slightly sickened by a shop opening up where the cheapest thing is a pair of earrings for £4,200?


I don't want to seem hard done by, I mean, I know there are many, many people far worse off than me, I'm very lucky to have never had serious money problems (touch wood) and I'm in a position where higher education is both an option but also, I am probably able to live away from home whilst doing so. But I just hate how there are people ready to splash out on some sparkly clutter, maybe they should be left in the Bolshevik era where they belonged?

No comments:

Post a Comment