Thursday, 1 December 2011

At the moment it all seems to be a bit depressing!

Lately, it seems to me that loads of bad things are happening all at once. I'm sure nothing worse than usual is really happening, in fact, in the greater scheme of things I'm sure this is probably pretty OK globally. But lately my days have gone a bit like this: I read depressing things in the paper, then I have another stressful day at sixth form, followed by coming home and being swamped by homework, in my breaks I watch the news which is more often than not depressing and when I go on social network sites I get BBC news tweets where often rubbish things have happened and I get countless e-mails from charities telling me about horrible things happening in the world.

Now, I know that this is in part my own fault; I am a self-confessed news junkie. I am also aware that really I'm just complaining about knowing bad things are happening, I mean, it could be so much worse, I could be actually experiencing all of those bad things! I am very lucky, but it's so easy to become over-whelmed by all the horrible things and think that the world is a horrible, depressing mess.

Good news! It's not all bad, I mean, let's not overlook the stuff we don't like, and I'll never stop writing letters because it's easier not to think about things. BUT if you sift through everything, you'll always find something worth smiling about, and I'm not referring to those gimmicky baby born at two months kind of stories (heart-warming as they are). For example: I'm on the mailing list for the Channel 4 news (it's called 'Snowmail' and it's absolutely brilliant! - they get it to your inbox before 6 p.m. everyday and you can sign up for it here) and this evening, I was reading it as part of my pre-Simpsons ritual. Admittedly I had to sift through some pretty grim news, 9 nine days to save the Euro? Scary stuff. Anyway, back to the point! As I scrolled a bit further down I read about the lifting of the ban on surgeons with HIV.

Personally I think this is absolutely brilliant! It's such a breakthrough, it's been thirty years now since the virus itself emerged and what better way of showing the breakthrough we've made in treating what can be such a debilitating illness. I mean, surely there can be nothing more that can shake your world than finding out you're HIV +, but then finding out that your medical career is over too? It must be absolutely soul destroying, so now, at least that worry won't be there for them anymore, something which must be a massive relief.

So, whilst today isn't all good news, I've found something to make me smile and now I think I'm going to try and do that every day!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. As far as the media is concerned bad news is good news. Just remember to take it all with a pinch of salt.
    e.g. Terrorism - you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning or even being legally executed.
    Flu - just 3% get it each year and only two of those could be prevented by a flu shot.
    War - a smaller percentage of the population of the world are affected by war than at any other time in history
    Banking crisis - Can you think of a better bunch of people to be in a panic? (OK lawyers and politicians excepted)

    Forget the bad news, look for the good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right it's absolutely mental, and a little creepy in all honesty to see how much of a buzz they seem to get from scaring me!

    I always try to take it all with a pinch of salt, but your points have totally helped me to calm down about it all, so thank-you very much!

    Also thank-you very much for reading my blog, and especially for commenting :) I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete